50mm 1.2 vs. 35mm 1.4

My wide angle L lens arrived in the mail last week. If I would have seen the UPS man when he dropped it off I think I would have hugged him. Actually, I'm not much of a hugger. So many not...

Anyway..

I started tinkering around with it in my front yard and was surprised at how hard it was for me to shoot so wide. I have been shooting with my 50mm for so long, that composing my images with a 35mm felt really strange. So strange, in fact, that I considered returning it and buying the 50mm L lens instead.

I took the new lens for a trial run with my boys last weekend.

The lens is sharp and unbelievably fast. The colors and contrast are both fantastic. BUT I still wasn't sure if it was worth the money.
Until I got this shot.
This is SOOC, shot at 8:00. In low light, this baby is a dream!
(My favorite part of this picture is the little blue blob on the front porch. That would be Luke. He was so terrified of anything with flames that he camped out on the porch the entire time.)

Now I'm sure that this lens is worth the money. But I still can decide if the 50mm L lens would be more versatile.

Any photogs care to weigh in?

(Don't tell me to buy both. My husband might have a heart attack, and I'm quite fond of him.)

AlliSMiles  – (July 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM)  

Do you not have another 50mm lens? I would not LIVE without my 50/1.4. It is the most versatile lens because it is so fast, sharp, and because I prefer the look of a "normal" lens. I have a 28mm lens that I use at every wedding just because it is nice for big group shots. But that's about it. But I would never trade my 50 for any other lens; it's almost all I shoot with on film and digital. Well, technically my Contax lens is 80mm, but on medium format it is still a normal lens. Anyway, my two cents.

Lesley  – (July 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM)  

I see life through a 50mm lens... I pick up my camera to compose and that's the focal length I expect to see. If it's anything else, it just throws me off. I have a 20mm 2.8 and it's nice when I need it, but my 50mm 1.4 lives on my camera.

I actually just sold my 85mm lens. I tried but I determined it wasn't worth it to keep. I'll definitely be upgrading to the 1.2 after I upgrade my camera :)

Lindsay  – (July 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM)  

WOW! I want one. :) My pictures of the 4th of july fireworks are black globs of nothingness with a smear of blurry light streaking though... not so keepable!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.

If you have any questions, I will answer them in the comments or e-mail you individually.

Thanks for reading!

Melissa

About This Blog

All images by Melissa E Photography are protected under copyright law. Reproductions of any kind are strictly prohibited. Melissa E Photography reserves the right to use images for display, publication and promotional purposes of its business. All images remain the property of Melissa E Photography.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP