Karly's Birth Story

When my sister, Emily, asked if I would photograph Karly's birth I felt a rush of excitement and nervousness. I was thrilled at the chance of photographing a birth but worried that I would mess it up somehow. I worried that me being there would take away from Emily and Jeff's moment.

D-day came, and I was a mess of nerves. But my worries melted away as I watched my sister focus and wince through each contraction. I watched the concern on my brother-in-law's face and remembered that this was about them---not me. I moved to a level of photography that I've never reached before. A level where I was able to forget , for a moment, about f-stops and shutter speed. I became so immersed in the moment--in their moment-- that I forgot to feel like a 3rd wheel. I became a little fly on the wall (one very emotional fly on the wall) and watching the experience through my camera only magnified the experience.

It. was. incredible.

And luckily, I resisted my urge to yell out things like, "You're a winner!" and "Don't give up!"

(You're welcome.)

I hope you enjoy their birth story as much as I did.




























Unknown  – (June 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM)  

Love this Melissa! You did a great job. Your sister looks so great and most def doesn't look like she was in labor, or barely even pregnant! Karlie is beautiful too.

Christina  – (June 19, 2010 at 9:03 PM)  

Completely stunning. I'm a mess of tears over here. Next time we have a baby, you're coming. Loved this!

Cindy  – (June 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM)  

WOW Melissa. What a beautiful series of pictures! What an incredible gift for your sister, who is amazing looking (with jewelry even???) for having just given birth!?!

Hannah S  – (June 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM)  

Lovely Melissa. Great work, for all of you. Both mom and baby are so beautiful and what a supportive husband! I particularly love the shots with your sister and Karlie. Well done!

Lesley  – (June 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM)  

These are so beautiful, Melissa. Well done. There are too many favorites to note, but the mama-baby shots are simply stunning.

Well done.

Unknown  – (June 20, 2010 at 5:18 AM)  

Wow Mel! What gorgeous pictures and memories to go along with it! I am sitting over here bawling like a baby. Thanks a lot:)

Jen  – (June 20, 2010 at 6:13 AM)  

Wow - these are beautiful pictures. You captured everything so beautifully.

Katie  – (June 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM)  

Truly amazing. You have such a talent!

{Lindsey}  – (June 20, 2010 at 4:02 PM)  

Tears streaming down my face. What a beautiful way to capture moments and memories.
BTW I am Emily's friend here in StG and I just love your sister to death.
Oh and I enjoy blog stalking your blog as well...hope you don't mind.
Great Job Melissa on being a very privileged fly on the wall.
What a priceless thing for Jeff and Em to have.

michael. mindy. dane.  – (June 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM)  

Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!!

the rutledge's-  – (June 21, 2010 at 5:19 AM)  

Wow. That was amazing. You Melissa, are amazing, and I am not just saying that.

Lindsay  – (June 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM)  

Oh. My. Heck. So beautiful. I'm totally crying over here - - - you almost make me wish I was having a baby soon so you could take the pictures (*almost*).

Marianne Hales Harding  – (June 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM)  

I'll second what Lindsey (the first) said! Wow, amazing pictures that are deepened by knowing (and loving) the subjects.

Kim  – (June 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM)  

Beautiful people. Beautiful baby. Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing. Very cool.

The Preece Family  – (June 22, 2010 at 6:43 AM)  

So amazing and beautiful! Hello - I am not surprised though...you are incredible! You really captured the birth story perfectly. Thanks for the morning tears! :) I really hope you're still around when I have another baby...

Katie  – (June 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM)  

I am completely unsurprised that your sister looks so amazing while giving birth- I bet you would too. I love the one of the names written out...and I love her name, and had a sad laugh when I realized that I can never use it...Karly, Marley...too much, right? Anyway, beautiful, amazing, and I am holding you to your promise next time I have a baby:).

Cami Jo  – (August 17, 2010 at 11:21 AM)  

I am crying. Seriously. When I kept reading that you wanted to do "birth stories" I thought, man...Melissa, you are crazy! But I finally got around to looking at some of these, and it is AMAZING! Love it! Beautiful mama, by the way. She and baby look awesome! I can't beleive she just gave birth. Beautiful!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.

If you have any questions, I will answer them in the comments or e-mail you individually.

Thanks for reading!

Melissa

About This Blog

All images by Melissa E Photography are protected under copyright law. Reproductions of any kind are strictly prohibited. Melissa E Photography reserves the right to use images for display, publication and promotional purposes of its business. All images remain the property of Melissa E Photography.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP